First Ever NY Music Month Opens
Music rules NYC in June with the first-ever New York Music Month (NYMM). New Yorkers and tourists alike are sure to find an event to whet their musical tastes with a slew of events, concerts and festivals from indie rock and pop; classic rock, blues and jazz, to rap and hip hop – and everything in-between.
The first-ever citywide celebration of New York’s diverse and thriving music sector, New York Music Month was officially proclaimed June 1st by Mayor Bill de Blasio, Media and Entertainment (MOME) Commissioner Julie Menin and NY is Music co-founder Justin Kalifowitz.
“The incredible range of musical styles that have originated here in New York are a testament to, and reflection of, our city’s multiethnic roots. In naming June 2017 as New York Music Month, we celebrate all the contributions our city’s music creators have made here.” — Mayor Bill de Blasio
The month-long initiative features 30 days of events designed to showcase and support the makers of the city’s soundtrack. NYMM highlights and cements New York’s status as the music capital of the country, if not the world.
NY Music Month intentionally coincides with other major NYC area live music events in June. Kicking-off a June lineup filled with concerts are Central Park’s SummerStage (June); Governor’s Ball at Randall’s Island (June 2-4) and the second annual France Rocks SummerFest (June) opening with Raul Midón at NY’s iconic club The Iridum on June 2nd and 3rd.
NYCMM offers a full calendar of events, industry initiatives, resources for musicians, music tours of local neighborhoods, and more. For the complete lineup check out the website: www.nymusicmonth.nyc/schedule/
The NYMM Highlights
For New Yorkers, Music Fans and Tourists
• Free Concerts: New comprehensive website listing free and ticketed music events all over the city including free co-branded concerts at SummerStage, Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival, Lincoln Center Presents, Northside Festival, Make Music New York and more.
• Free Walking Tours of iconic music sites as well as a digital map produced in partnership with Foursquare.
FOR MUSICIANS and CREATORS
RESOURCES – NYMM features tailor-made free programs for the city’s music-making community
• 2,000+ Hours of Free Rehearsal Space for NYC-based musicians through community development organization SpaceWorks, underwritten by MOME
• Online Toolkit for Musicians: MOME is putting out an RFP to create a first-of-its kind on-line resource to help musicians with the business side of their careers, with contracts templates, guides for registering music and ways to generate revenue.
• Music, Tech and Real Estate Conference: A day-long event at NYU Steinhardt, “Sound Development NYC” will explore what comes next at the intersection of New York City’s music, tech and real estate industries with panels on venue preservation, music tech innovations, and more.
THE MOME BACKSTORY
Music is central to New York City’s economy, social fabric, and cultural identity, but the industry only gained a home in a City agency a little over a year ago when it became part of the Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment’s portfolio.
MOME’s Mission: to do for music what it has done for the city’s thriving film and television production industry — growing and supporting it for the benefit of all New Yorkers.
New York Music Month is the first major initiative following the first NYC Music Industry Economic Impact study, conductded in March 2017. The report detailed the importance of the industry as a driver of jobs and economic benefits in the city and included suggestions for how the City can support and grow its vital music ecosystem.
Music rules New York in June. With so many culturally and musically rich options, everyone is bound to have a rock’n time in the city that never sleeps. Support live music! #NYMM2017 — Abbe is #SociallySparked! TWITTER: @asparks01 IG: @SociallySparkedNews