The Return of NY Music Month
Music takes over NYC in June with the return of New York Music Month (NYMM). New Yorkers and tourists alike are sure to find an event to whet their musical tastes with a slew of events, concerts and festivals from indie rock and pop; classic rock, blues and jazz, to rap and hip hop – and everything in-between.
The second annual citywide celebration of New York’s diverse and thriving music sector, New York Music Month was officially proclaimed June 1st, 2017 by Mayor Bill de Blasio, Media and Entertainment (MOME) Commissioner Julie Menin and NY is Music co-founder Justin Kalifowitz.
“New York is home to the largest and most diverse music business ecosystem on the planet, and I invite all New Yorkers to ‘get in the mix’ with us this summer!” — Julie Menin, Commissioner Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment
The month-long initiative features 30 days of events designed to showcase and support the makers of the city’s soundtrack. NYMM highlights and cements New York’s status as the music capital of the country, if not the world.
NY Music Month intentionally coincides with other major NYC area live music events for the public and industry facing events, including Governor’s Ball, the Annual Songwriters Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, the National Music Publishers Association Annual Meeting, A2IM Indie Week, the Northside Festival, Live Nation’s Ford Amphitheater series at Coney Island, SummerStage and BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn, Festival opening weekends, and many more!.
Kicking-off a June lineup filled with concerts are Central Park’s SummerStage (June); Governor’s Ball at Randall’s Island Park (June 1-3) and the third annual France Rocks SummerFest (June) opening weekend features blockbuster DJ Zimmer at Brooklyn’s Elsewhere on June 1st and Grammy Award-winning artist Gregory Porter on June 2nd at SummerStage.
For the complete calendar of NYMM events, industry initiatives, resources for musicians, music tours of local neighborhoods, and more check out the website: www.nymusicmonth.nyc/schedule/
NYMM HIGHLIGHTS FOR NEW YORKERS, MUSIC FANS & TOURISTS
• FREE CONCERTS: New comprehensive website listing free and ticketed music events all over the city including free co-branded concerts at SummerStage, Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival, Lincoln Center Presents, Northside Festival, Make Music New York and more.
• FREE WALKING TOURS of iconic music sites highlight Morrisania, the South Bronx, Lincoln Center and Greenwich Village.
• THE KIDZ BOP KIDS team up with NYMM to explore NYC’s musical landmarks and the free music events happening in June.
• #MyNYCSong TEEN SONGWRITING CONTEST returns for a second year, calling teens age 13-19 from all five boroughs to submit original songs that have been inspired by New York City.
• WORLD REFUGEE DAY CONCERT – the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music and Spaceworks along with a broad coalition of organizations that support immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers host an evening of music, food, and community. The free event will be held on Saturday, June 23rd, from 3-6 pm at the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music and will feature musicians and dancers from all over the world.
FOR MUSICIANS and CREATORS
RESOURCES – NYMM features tailor-made free programs for the city’s music-making community
• Free Rehearsal Space for NYC-based musicians through community development organization SpaceWorks, underwritten by MOME. Musicians can rehearse for free at one of Spaceworks 20 studios in Williamsburg, Park Slope, and Long Island City. This promotion is available to all NYC-based music makers for up to 10 free rehearsal hours per participant.
• Workshops: Several workshops this month include Make it Live: A Practical Approach to Getting Gigs in NYC and Touring the United States (June 13); How to Make Money with Music (June 26); How to Make Money with Music: DIGITAL EDITION (June 29); and Power Station at BerkleeNYC Workshops’ Intro To Sync And Music Licensing (June 16th) and Creating A Band Agreement (June 26th).
• Conferences: This year’s annual conference at NYU Steinhardt focuses on the theme Innovation at the Intersection of Music + Nightlife, which aims to raise awareness and promote a dialogue about the thriving music scene in all five boroughs. The free, one-day event will feature a program of speed talks, interviews, and panels featuring leading voices from New York’s current music scene.
THE MOME BACKSTORY
Music is central to New York City’s economy, social fabric, and cultural identity, but the industry only gained a home in a City agency a little over two years ago when it became part of the Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment’s portfolio.
MOME’s Mission: to do for music what it has done for the city’s thriving film and television production industry — growing and supporting it for the benefit of all New Yorkers.
New York Music Month was born out of the first NYC Music Industry Economic Impact study, conducted in March 2017. The report detailed the importance of the industry as a driver of jobs and economic benefits in the city and included suggestions for how the City can support and grow its vital music ecosystem.
The diverse soundtracks born out of New York City and its five boroughs have Socially Sparked ® our lives. As music takes over NYC in June — with so many culturally and musically rich and diverse options — everyone is bound to have a rock’n time in the city that never sleeps. Support live music! #NYMM2018 — Abbe is #SociallySparked! Tweet @sosparkednews & @asparks01
May 31, 2018
[…] will find a festival to tickle your fancy. Families, individuals, couples and the like, there is a Summer Fest for everyone. Some of the largest free festivals […]
June 1, 2018
[…] by France Rocks and the Bureau Export (the French Music Export Office) with the support from New York Music Month (NYMM) and […]