– The legendary structure was dubbed the “Eighth Wonder of the World.”
– One year after the Brooklyn Bridge opened, renowned showman entertainer P.T. Barnum took 125 elephants across the structure to prove it was safe.
– It took 14 years, 600 workers and 15 million dollars to build the immense structure back in the 1880s. To build a suspension bridge of this stature today would cost an estimated 325 million dollars.
– The Brooklyn Bridge still serves as the inspiration to countless artists from multiple genres including art, literature, music, theatre, film, television and photography (to name a few). Many famous artists incorporated the renowned bridge into their works including Andy Warhol and Georga O’Keefe; playwright Arthur Miller; photographer Walker Evans; musician Wyclef Jean and poet Jack Keroac.
– The Bridge continues to serve as a safe passage, scenic route and top destination for millions of commuters and tourists – cars, cyclists, pedestrians, trains and, back in the day, horse drawn carriages.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Here’s to the 134th birthday of the enamouring Brooklyn Bridge. — Abbe is #SOSPARKED @sosparkednews @asparks01